Driver charged with causing death of newborn baby ‘has received threats of violence’


A man charged with causing the death by dangerous driving of a two-week-old baby boy has received violent threats, a court heard today.

James Paul Davis, 34, stood in the dock at Wolverhampton Magistrates Court flanked by two prison guards.

He was denied conditional bail and remanded in custody partly for his own protection by District Judge David Murray.

Davis claimed he had been suffering from blackouts and headaches on the day before the horrific Easter Sunday crash in which prematurely born Ciaran Leigh Morris was killed.

He has been charged with driving his BMW without insurance when the collision with the pram occurred.

The baby was being wheeled in the pram by his parents Camaron Morris and Codie Holyman, both 18, in Brownhills near Walsall, West Midlands.

Prosecutor Mark Cooper said that “tensions were running high in the community” as a result of ‘the tragic case,”

He says that Davis from Walsall had fled the scene of the crash but had contacted police nearly an hour later.

He told the court, which had no family members or friends of the victim present, that “he was putting forward that he was suffering from blackouts.”

During the 20-minute hearing grey-dark haired Davis, who had taken off his paper face mask, sat with his arms folded.

He was dressed in grey T shirt and joggers.

Mr Cooper said that threats had been made against the defendant, saying: “There are persons wishing to attack and assault him and he has had suicidal thoughts.”

His defence lawyer Sarbjit Lalli said that “the death of a two week old child is emotive” and that his client was only told the baby has passed away while he was in custody.

He said: “He was visibly upset, what human being wouldn’t be?”

Davis didn’t enter any plea but only spoke to confirm his name, address and date of birth.

He is charged with causing death by dangerous driving, causing death by driving while uninsured, failing to stop at the scene of a collision and failure to report a collision.

He was remanded in custody to appear before the town’s Crown Court on May 4.